The newly formed Census District of Black Hammock features groves, farms, nurseries that make up the watershed for the south part of Lake Jessup. Evidence of its long history of horticulture was claimed by the swamps of Lake Jessup, which has provided the rural buffers between the lake, the Hammock, and Oviedo.
In Memory of Hammock Defender – An article on the naming of Jim Logue Way within the Black Hammock Wilderness Area.
Chuluota was first settled soon after the Civil War. Some of the area’s first white residents were from North Carolina who came here by ox cart seeking refuge from the war, and undoubtedly encountered Seminole Indians when they arrived. They found an area teaming with fish, deer, and wild hogs. Orange groves, cattle ranches, a sawmill and turpentine production from the forests of pines were developed by settlers. The railroad provided transportation for passengers and goods.
Robert A. Mills, who was one of the early developers of the community, is also credited with choosing the lyrical Indian name of Chuluota, which was possibly the name of the original Seminole village. About 1892 the name was continued by Henry Flagler, who created the Chuluota Land Company to sell land acquired by the FEC RR.
The Chuluota School was established in 1898. It was a wooden one-room schoolhouse. In 1925 a more modern elementary school was built but was eventually closed in June, 1948. It later was the volunteer fire station, the Chuluota Community Center and was sold to VFW and now serves as the home of VFW Post 10139.
Chuluota’s survival was challenged by several events. First, there was a killer freeze in the mid 1890′s that virtually killed off the entire thriving citrus industry. Next, development was stalled by the bust of the land boom in the 1920′s, and finally it was devastated by the depression in the 1930′s. Bit by bit, the population of the hamlet dwindled.
By the 1960′s, new developers made plans to revitalize the community and many central Florida residents began to rediscover this little gem and began to migrate here. Today, Chuluota struggles to maintain its rural character while providing a thriving community for its residents. It is estimated that one thousand new homes were built in the area in the year 2003. Its citizens are facing a challenge for a balance between development and maintaining a casual, laid-back quality of life that we have all come to enjoy.
The Island of Geneva
The northeast part of Seminole County is considered the “Island” of Geneva because it is totally surrounded by the waters of beautiful lakes and rivers, such as “American Heritage River” the St.Johns; a “Florida Outstanding Waterway” the Econlockhatchee; Lake Jesup; Lake Harney; and Salt Creek. In the past when Salt Creek which runs between Geneva and Oviedo, was high, the citizens were totally cut off from the neighboring communities, thus an “island”. Old flyers advertizing Geneva land for sale called it “The Beautiful Island of Geneva”.
The Village of Geneva
The Village of Geneva has been a strong and thriving community for over a hundred and fifty years. Geneva has eight active places of worship, the Geneva Elementary School, a Community Center, Museum, two cemeteries, a few local stores and gas stations, 6 parks & wilderness areas, and a community of people known for working together to better themselves and their families. Visit Geneva, attend the annual Fourth of July parade; go to the Bluegrass Jam, the Museum of Geneva History, the Yarborough Nature Center; or enjoy on our many hiking trails.